We, your coaches, have decided that instead of a few members doing the CrossFit open only as an individual it would be more fun for everyone to increase the community and all-inclusiveness of the CrossFit open! This assumption has been tested with a sample from our community and they totally agreed!
What does this mean?
We are going to do an Intramural Open. The Intramural Open is designed to get everybody involved and keep the spirit high over the course of the 5 week Open.
For those of you that were still doubting or were thinking that the Open was something you shouldn’t do, it now definitely is for our whole community!
Nice! But how does this Intramural Open work?
Here is a description of how this event will run.
- Gym members get themselves registered for the 2017 CrossFit Games Open as a member of CrossFit Leiden. You can sign yourself up using the sign-up form that is waiting for you on our bar. You are not obligated to sign up at the games.crossfit.com.
BUT if you want to compare yourself with the country, Europe and the world in all different ways or you want to qualify for the regionals, then signing up at games.crossfit.com is something you want to do.
- Team Captains for three CrossFit Leiden Intramural teams have been selected and will have a team draft meeting on Wednesday February 15. All members that have signed up until then will be randomly added to the three teams.
- Captains will have the opportunity to recruit additional members to their team from those gym members who are not yet registered for the Open up until the first WOD is announced on Friday, Feb 24th at 2AM (yes Friday early morning). Recruits must be “signed” in writing on a piece of paper, t-shirt, back of somebody’s head etc. and the first captain who hands one of our coaches the commitment to your team on it will have that member added. This is important as the more team members a team has the more opportunity that team has to earn points toward the championship. The chalkboard next to our bar will be used to display all the names part of the three teams!
We found an awesome group of captains from our community!
Team 1 – Barry & Daphne
Team 2 – Simone, Wendie & Jamie
Team 3 – Tom, Reineke & Robert
Earning Team Points
Teams members will then participate in the CrossFit Open and have an opportunity to earn points for their Intramural Open team in a number of ways. They are as follows.
- (+1) Each team member that completes an Open WOD during our Thank God It’s Friday Open.
- (+1) The top three male and female Rx/Scaled scores for each week will earn an additional point for their team total.
- (+5) The team that is deemed to have shown the most community contribution (food/drinks, noise, support from family and friends). Judged by our team of coaches.
- (+5) The team that has the best outfit for the weekly theme (think 80’s, western etc. )
- (+5) The team that has the best weekly social media coverage with #crossfitleiden .
- (+5) Special bonus points, details to be released later on during the Open.
Thank God It’s Friday Open!
Every Friday between 6PM and 9PM we will have a community throwdown in which everyone that is available that night will do the open workout. Each week we will have a different theme! Our team of captains will communicate with the team what times they are available and will set up the heats for that night. Each heat will have multiple athletes doing the workout and for every athlete one judge. You don’t have to be available the whole night but it might be much more fun if you are! We encourage you to bring friends and family to watch this event. They can have a beer and a snack while support your team that night.
You don’t have to do the workout on Friday night but it will cost your team points if you don’t. You can also do the workout on Saturday and Sunday during our regular hours on our Personal Training floor. Only 2 persons can do the workout at the same time and you need a judge to validate your scores. You will have to notify your team captain before Friday that you are not able to do the workout on Friday night. Our team captains will also organize the planning for those that are doing the workout in the weekends.
At the end of the Open the team with the highest points total will earn all the bragging rights and will be awarded cool prizes. We are going to work on the details of this event as it goes and hopefully we can have some other fun things to do or give out as extras for those who participate.
To join the Intramural Open we ask you to pay 25 euros. This includes a custom made CrossFit Leiden “open style” t-shirt or tank top.
Monday: we will announce the weekly theme (think 80’s, western etc. )
Thursdays (night): CrossFit Games Open WOD is released at 2 AM our time (Thursday to Friday night).
Fridays: All regular classes for Friday night have been cancelled. From 6 to 9 PM we will have our
“Thank God it is Friday Open” event!” You will have to tell your team captains before Friday if you can be a part of this event and they will create the heats for this night.
Saturdays: Wods as regular but members can do the CrossFit open workout on our personal training area. Your captains need to know about this as they will make sure that only 2 members will be doing the WOD at the same time. You need a judge to validate your score and your captains need to be informed of the score.
Sundays: Wods as regular but members can do the CrossFit open workout on our personal training area. Your captains need to know about this as they will make sure that only 2 members will be doing the WOD at the same time. You need a judge to validate your score and your captains need to be informed of the score.
Monday: Regular class schedule. Deadline for workout score submission. (Be sure to leave us time to validate your score!!!!!) The captains should have all scores which will be shared with our coaching team. Scores of members that have registered on games.crossfit.com need to be uploaded by our coaching staff on Monday night. A total ranking for the workout will be created.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should participate in the Intramural Open?
Everyone! The Intramurals are just a fun addition to the Open. You become part of a team and it defnitely does not matter if you’re going scaled or prescribed. The only important thing is that you show up, ready to participate, have fun, and cheer on your team!
Do I have to register in the Open at games.crossfit.com?
No you don’t have to. But in that case you cannot compare yourself with the other 300.000+ athletes and you cannot qualify for the regionals.
I don’t get it, do we do 5 team wods?
No. Please take the time to read everything again. You are still doing the WODs as an individual, but you are just having way more fun while doing them!
What movements can we expect in the scaled and RX division?
Please find below a summary of the 2016 movements. 2017 will have new and overlapping movements. But based on this information you can decide if RX or Scaled is the division you want to play in. If scaled division has movements you cannot do, then we will modify those as well.
What if I cannot perform the movement in the scaled division?
If you cannot perform the movement and need to scale accordingly then you can still perform the workout. You can still do the workout and you can still get points for your team!
You will however not be able to receive points for the top 3 in the scaled and rx division and you will not be able to upload the scores to games.crossfit.com.
What if I cannot be part of the event all 5 weeks?
As much as we like you to be a part of this event every week, we still understand that life happens! We ask you to join the event at least 3 out of 5 times.
Why no regular classes on Friday night?
This is a once in the year event. We expect many members to join this event and need the space and hours to accommodate this. The open is a big tradition within the global CrossFit community. It is an event that brought this beautiful methodology closer to your home! As you might have experienced the community aspect is something that most members really appreciate and keeps them coming to the gym. It is something that helps them to get the results. We need events like this to increase the community feel!